Powered By Blogger

Thursday 10 December 2009

God, the lover of our soul!

God is so good. I am reading the book, "Captivated" by John and Stasi Eldredge best-selling author of Wild at Heart. It was a gift from my dear friend Reena just before I came back to Glasgow in August. I started reading it then but put it down for a couple of months. I just picked it up again and started reading.

Lately, I've been crying out to God for more passion for him...more love for him...more something. :D Ever been there? Anyway, the chapter I picked up at was about how that a woman's soul longs to be romanced...longs to be pursued. Often times hurts and wounds from the past put walls up in our hearts causing us to think that we obtain no beauty worth pursuing. However, if we would stop and ask God to reveal to each one of us the beauty of the very center of who we are...we would find that we are very beautiful in the eyes of God...so much so that he has been pursuing us since we were little girls. And even more so as we become women...he wants to romance us. He doesn't only want to be our King, our Lord, our Savior, even our Father, he wants a more intimate relationship. He wants to be the lover of our soul. He wants to romance us.

Anyway...in this chapter they were talking about these things and they were explaining how God romances us in different ways. Think of ways that your heart was romanced as a kid: "horses in a field? Was it the fragrance of the air after a summer rain? Was it a favorite book?...The first snowfall of winter?" I could name a million things...but I relate with the last one. I remember being a little girl so excited for the first snowfall of winter. I would sit by the window in our kitchen and just watch...anxiously waiting for the slightest hint of snow. And when it came...oh how excited I was...my heart was abounding in hope fulfilled.

So as I read this chapter I thought to myself, "How does God want to romance me here? IN Glasgow? I'm not near the ocean where I feel the closest to him...It doesn't snow very much here...What glorious wonders of nature are there to behold God's silent pursuit of me?"

After I put my book down, I shut the light off and attempted to fall asleep. However, because of my awful habit of drinking coffee right before I go to bed, I lay sleepless in Glasgow. ;-) So I got up, put my laptop on, signed on here, uploaded my pictures from yesterday's Pantomime, and Wham! It was like a brick hit me in the head.

It wasn't the crashing winds of the seaside, or the stillness of wondrous mountains, or even a snow fall through which God romanced me yesterday; it was through art. That's right...art. Yesterday I went to my first Pantomime at the Pavillion Theatre here in Glasgow. Just before the show started I was mesmerized by the grandness and outstanding architecture of the auditorium. It was absolutely amazing. I felt like I had been transported through time two hundred years ago. I was excited just sitting in my seat...before the show even started. Little did I know...God was romancing me. :D He was romancing me through the simple things in life...things that others may have grown accustomed to. I remember turning to my friend and college mate, Valerie, and saying, "I feel like I've been transported two hundred years back." She looked at me funny and said, "Huh. Maybe I felt like that the first time I went to a Pantomime. I'm not sure."

So...I just wanted to share that. And encourage someone who may be having a hard time seeing how God could possibly romance you. Sometimes it's the simple things. Look out for the simple things in life that thrill you...that could just very well be God luring you into a smothering romance. ;-) whether you are a woman or a man! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment